Monday, January 21, 2008

Cinematographers - Special Selections

There are 100’s of excellent films out there, from all counties, but a cherished few are deserving of a very special moniker – iconic. We’ll be talking about these examples of outstanding cinematography and direction throughout this semester, and I’m still working on my list of selections. I feel like a kid in a candy store, there are so many choices. Because the class is Cinematography, we’ll detail films that demonstrate exceptional achievement in that category, works that played a pivotal role in the evolutionary process of film production, camera work and audience reaction.

The first film on my list is The French Connection (1971), photographed by Owen Roizman, for which he received the Oscar, and directed by William Friedkin.

In my next posting we’ll examine some of the principle components of cinematography that make this film so special. Stay tuned…..

No comments: